Friday, September 24, 2004

More than Hitting the Books

In today’s day and age, medical technology is at the greatest it's ever been and growing. New studies and research are going on around the world to cure diseases and crush cancer. Yet through all this information being discovered, the designers at Edinboro University forgot some of the basics rather than the latest and greatest news. They forgot about how precious your noodle is and the shell around it. It’s the only reason I can imagine they’d make bunk beds at the ceiling.

It’s a challenge, but rather funny, getting in to bed at night after a long day of classes. Or if my rommie and I would like to do some studying, we toss our book up first (for the attempt of carrying it and climbing the rails is rather too risky) and make the trip up to what some would call a loft.

We are getting used to it now. It’s kind of cozy that gives a ‘nook’ type feeling of shelter and warmth. But at first, the adjustment was a learning process; and we are still learning.

I can’t tell you how many times we’ve “pulled a Manna”. “Pulling a Manna” is where you hit your head on the desk, the bed, the roof, or anything at that. (This coined after a near concussion by my roommate on the 3rd floor due to the desk/bed contraption.) We’ve climbing into bed, smack, we’ve went to study, smack, we’ve went to get away from the smacking, and again, another smack. The night of our first fire drill at 3AM I don’t even want to imagine how many poor students who didn’t lower their bed sat straight up in bed to the sound of the alarm and were not only surprised by the noise but the throbbing of their noggin.

I imagine the amount of brain cells we are losing is devastating. I wouldn’t even consider looking at the list. Yet I will always remember my freshman year of ouch, bang, darn it, and smacking. How can you go on without it?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home