Sunday, October 10, 2004

Feeding the Fighting Snots

Even before I was the legal age to be employed, I already made the firm decision to stay far away from the fast food business or any job that concerned feeding hungry people demanding perfect service. When the job opportunity opened up at the grocery store, Shop N’ Save, I was pleased because for one, it was money, and two, it wasn’t McDonalds. I see that my choice was a wise one as I observe the hired help that proudly wear the t-shirts “Feeding the Fighting Scots” at the dining halls of Edinboro University. I guess it’s not my kind of field, or should I say, not my kind of kitchen.

I only checked out food at Shop N’ Save, allowing people to make their own food at home and giving them a cost-efficient method for there was no tip at the end of the order. Thankfully I didn’t have to put up with the crazy pressures of cooking food the whole way through, getting the right order, adding the right ingredients, and hustling around clearing off tables for more carnivorous customers. The restaurant business is busy and fast, which is probably the one reason I enjoyed the harmonious beeping of the scanner on my register at the store.

But in this blog I give it up to the employees of Edinboro University’s dining services. If you think about it, they make tons of various foods, ranging from tacos to turnips, they cook it, clean up, re-stock, cook some more, and also put up with pushy, egotistical college students. Sometimes they display a look on their face that is similar to a kid trapped in the house on a rainy day- they just want out of there.

I’m not saying all the students on campus are rude and insensitive to others, I find many of the people on campus kind-hearted and friendly to meet. It’s those few that strike a cord that plays a sour note, usually on the wrong day for the person listening to the tune. Sometimes I wonder where people get it from, their parents, the television, or just having nothing better to do than vocalize their inner most thoughts publicly. It’s usually not hard to say thank-you or please, goodness sakes; there is even an episode on Sesame Street. Maybe there is some hidden idea or lesson to people as they get older that they have the right to frown and grab their food and leave with a grudge. But what fun is that?

I remember all those bad instances that scared me half to death and also left me scratching my head when I worked at Shop N’ Save. However I always loved having someone with a smile and a hello comes through my line. Even the people could be considered too chatty would make the day a little more interesting and intriguing. I remember some quotes of them like “Always remember to have fun” and other silly remarks and rips on the Green Points Rewards system the store offered. Even the people I knew that came through my line gave me a happy grin because it just wasn’t another stranger. But I still don’t understand why people that did see my lane was open went to the one in front of me or the shorter one. Is making someone’s day bright not worth the time?

I guess generous thank-you’s and please’s and other compliments to those serving you go farther that one would think. You never know when your greetings and good day’s will come in handy to put a smile on a busy server or shop keeper. J

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home