Thursday, October 14, 2004

Snakes, Snails, and Puppy Dog Tails

I always knew that boys were messy. It’s common sense almost. I grew up thinking that girls were nice and neat and boys were sticky and smelly. Sure, I found those exceptional males that keep their living standards and hygiene at a tolerable and healthy level, but the old truth still stands: Boys smell.

It was proclaimed at Orientation that the floors that those smelly little boys, now “young adults”, would always smell to some strange magnitude of garbage. I never knew how true it was until the weeks went by and I started to venture out of my room.

One instance of outrageous odors on floors begins with the first floor on the west wing, where I reside. You enter after Rose hall and pass through the lobby and mailboxes, you proceed to open the door and hit a gassy blast that reminds you of the lingering smell of a rest home for the elderly. How can something like this happen? Have the RA’s been handing out bedpans to the students and forgot to mention the fact you have to dump it when you’re finished?

The grand daddy of smells on the floors lives on the 4th floor of the north wing (obviously not my own, I live on the west wing. Now don’t I feel presidential). This smell takes the cake, well, probably melts the cake and turns it into a crumble of sand after it eats away at the icy layers. Unfortunately, it’s the short-cut to the café in the basement which results in a quick scurry past a few rooms and rushing through the door down the stairs, letting out a breath of relief tat I’ve made it alive. The experience is almost like one of those action video games where your player has to complete the level as fast as possible or the life slowly decreases due to a deadly and potent gas and game over pops up on the screen. And people say that kids are bored these days. I’m just trying to get some food before I am overcome with the fumes.

I know boys can be messy but why does messy have to go along with smelly? It’s most likely a chain reaction. Clothes lay on ground dirty. Clothes develop fungus. Food is eaten. Food wasn’t finished. Food lies around. Food attracts flies. Food developed fungus. Dust forms. Dust spreads. Dust begins to play the role of a fungus- spreading everywhere.

I guess you just can’t avoid it. Boys just smell.

Girls can be messy too. You will come across some real trashers. But generally, girls are made of sugar and spice and everything that smells nice. Boys have cologne to make up for it.

1 Comments:

Blogger Greg said...

Somehow, I should feel honored to be the first one posting about an article that boys are messy. Geez, you saw it first hand for a lot of years. Well, boys still aren't clean and our hall always smells like weed. But you keep up your boy-bashing and I'll try to keep my room as ridiculous as possible.

10:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home