Tuesday, June 21, 2005

Random words from an self proclaimed oracle

I spend a lot of time these days inside the grocery store Shop N’ Save. In doing so, I’ve seen just about everything from the messy clean ups of vinegar to the irate customers who storm out the door over thirty nine cents. Today an elderly man spoke words to me that enabled me to day dream.

I was checking out a simple card that I didn’t even look at to see what type of card, whether it was a birthday or a sympathy card. The register I was one was Register 1- Express, 10 items or less, no check, you know the drill. Of course, no one reads anymore so it’s pretty much a register like the other 6 that are behind me. I flipped the card on the back to get the price, punch it in, and bag it. While the transaction was being completed, the man said to me “You’ll be getting one of these someday soon.” His words were so random and peculiar that I had to ask what kind of card he purchased. “A birthday card for my wife” he replied. Too stunned and confused to even process these words, I handed him the receipt and told him to have a nice day. Out the door he went, on his way to deliver his wife her birthday card.

After this incident, it got me thinking. I usually disreguard the odd and stupid comments customers tend to make in the check out line, but I decided to ponder this one. First off, was he saying that to compliment me in some perverse old man way by saying I was pretty and would soon be hitched, or was he saying he has a psychic power to see into the future that I am going to be randomly married in the next year or is there a vendetta for him to leave his wife for the cashier on register 1? Beats me, but once I got on the subject or marriage, I thought about it some more. (Believe me, it was a very slow day at the store.)

In my own personal and honest opinion, I don’t see myself getting married in several years. First off, I’m still in school, and second, when I graduate from school, I would enjoy having a job to earn some money to even have the funds for a car, a place, and so on. As my Women’s Wellness and Weight Training professor always said “Don’t get married until both of you are financially stable!” (This is followed by the hackling line “Don’t get married at all!”) Besides, when I graduate I will only be 21, which is pretty young in this day and age. Times have changed since my Grandparents would run off at age 16 and marry each other. Interesting how things used to be that way.

Things have changed so much that even when I hear of people my age marrying it shocks everyone. Two people from my graduating class are already engaged and off to be hitched in the near future. I couldn’t even imagine married life at this age. I can barely keep track of watering my plants and cleaning the fishbowl let alone packing hubby dearest his lunchbag and washing his shirts and socks. I’m not saying that’s all there is to married life, there is more, but I’m stating the fact I’m young, and I’m enjoying it.

Even dating, it’s nice to be just dating and not trying to make a house payment or something of that nature. I don’t know how my two fellow classmates will do it. All I know is that my friends and I are enjoying our younger years- the pictures I have posted prove that.

I hosted the 4th annual cookout at my house- a Potluck Cookout- which was quite a blast for everyone. Everyone enjoys parties at my house, not sure why. It could be the open air, making as much noise as you wanted with no one near by, room to run, fire to cook stuff with and throw logs on, or just the simplicity of getting together like old times sake.

It’s nice to see my girlies again and hang out. I love taking pictures so I took tons of them to document the occasion. The people that attended the party are in two different sects right now- those who just graduated and those who completed their first year of college. It’s so much harder to see friends once everyone goes away for school, even in the summer. Things change, people get busy with schedules, and time just flies. Soon that other generation will discover that all the petty things they’ve squawked about in the past and all the itty bitty things will become pointless. Even prom looks cheesy now n’ days, something I loved to death in high school. Everything has it’s time.

Even so, these girls are great, probably bridesmaids in my wedding (since we’re on the topic!). We’ve gone through a lot in the high school days and still remain good friends. Friends truly are the cookies of life.

Now as for me, I’m off to be a lazy cookie and lounge around the house on my night away from work (the morning and afternoon were consumed by it already). Enjoy yours too, I hope to catch up with blogs sometime! Toodles!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home