Monday, September 27, 2004

Going Back to Follow their Dreams

College after high school seems to be the popular trend across America these days. Back in the days of my parents, when dinosaurs roamed the earth (just kidding), not everybody was picking out a university that was their favorite or planning years in advance for financial aid or funding. Most of them went out into the work force, and many still do today; college education isn’t the answer to everyone’s dreams. And then there are some who aren’t fresh out of high schools who are becoming freshman once again. These adults are hitting the books once again and for their determination, I give them my applause.

I can only imagine being older and going into this crazy environment. First off, they’re much more mature than many of their other freshman peers. Instead of boozing or napping till noon, their plans for the day are quite different. An adult may be paying bills or planning about their future or taking care of children at home. Second, after being out of school for so long, I can imagine that one would worry about grades and whether the old noodle could make it though the four years of learning. Third, their classmates are still kids. They can go back and remember when they were that age.

But those excuses are nothing in my book. These adults I see out on campus have a twinkle of determination in their eyes, courage to go against the grain and a great will to learn. They have cast the excuses aside and have decided that it’s worth a shot and to go for the gold. They, to me, are not just fellow students. They are to be respected for they have and will teach many lessons to others and myself.

For instance, a fellow by the name of Rick is in a few of my classes. At first, I spoke to him briefly, much like I did everyone. But as time grew on, Rick told some of his stories, where he has been, and what he has learned. It’s amazing that some of the most interesting stories come from adults who really aren’t as different as you and I. Yet they didn’t give up on what they wanted, and it shows.

Not giving up on what you want relatively goes for everything. No matter what, if you really want it, you can do it. To set those goals and to pursue them, that is courage no movie can make you truly see of feel. It’s really amazing to know God has a plan for everyone on this earth and that no matter what, everything is going to be ok.

So as for these ‘adults’ and their dreams, go for it. You never know who you’ll inspire.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home