Thursday, October 21, 2004

A Duck Underwater

I’ve always loved getting a bath. Whether it’s a hot, steamy shower or a bubbly, warm bath, I love it and can’t get enough of it. It comes to be a disadvantage at home when the water that supplies the entire house comes from a well that produces little to nothing in terms of great water supply. Often I would be startled by the abrupt banging on the bathroom door, a signal it was time for me to hurry I up or no one was going to be able to wash their hands until the well pumped. But despite the disadvantage of water shortages, I sure learned a lot about pumping and pulling wells, digging ditches, reservoir tanks, and the water table. But that is certainly another blog, especially one my father would enjoy. He craves on that kind of crafty learning stuff.

It was an adjustment when I came to EUP for educational experience. The showers are individual, not group, but you certainly can’t step out nude and dry off as if you were at home with the door shut. Also, another transition at Edinboro is the idea of going into the bathroom without proper foot gear is enough to make you turn your stomach. At home, you jump in, but here, brace yourself and hold on, and watch so you don’t slip and fall on your way in or out as well. You also have the caddy to assist you because not everyone can put their soaps and suds all together in one bathroom. If one chick found another using her seven dollar shampoo and conditioner, we may have a cat fight with water and toilet paper on our hands.

The bathrooms are well kept and I give our cleaning lady a gold star to dealing with trashy gals and all the hair. Any girl can tell you that sometimes you’ll just shed crazily until you get to the point where you consider picking up some Rogain at Wal-Mart for you fear of baldness coming around the corner. Amazing how so much can be lost and yet I still have locks on my head. I can’t say the same for my daddy and a few other male relatives. Usually, things are spic and span around the restroom.

The one great thing about the shower life at Edinboro is – water; lots of it. As I mentioned above, I loved taking long showers. Despite the first few weeks of freezing cold water for 5 minutes and then boiling streams coming out, the temperature is balancing out finally and now shower time is MY time to soak up the warmth.

I usually take a shower before bedtime for two plain reasons: 1) relaxes the body for sleep time 2) I am too darn lazy come sunrise. So each night I gather up my caddy and my towel, slip on the shoes, and head down the hall to the water wonderland. But wait…I forgot something this time. What could it be…?

Shower time was coming to an end, an unfortunate event every night, as I rinsed off my face wash and squeezed my hair. The lever was pulled and the rush of balmy droplets ceased. I then reached for my towel. Yet there was nothing to reach. There was no towel.

At first, I thought I threw it on the bench outside or on the rack, but with a peek out of the shower curtain and a quick scan of my eyes, I soon discovered I was towel less; stranded balmy and bare. Many thoughts dashed through my mind as I tried to think of a way out of this mess. There I was, wet and getting cold, and no towel to warm me! No stray towels are lying around; no one is in the bathroom, no cell phone on me to call for help. It didn’t help it was around 1AM and everyone is tucked in for bed too. I let out a faint, petite little line that echoed through the empty stalls and over the sinks in an urgent plea:

“Umm…help?!”

No one was there to answer or give me a helping hand. Brainstorming lead me no where for the ideas I came up with were useless and improbable. I ruled out the idea of quickly sprinting nude through the hall to me room. Knowing my luck, someone would spot me butt naked. Watch, the passer byer would even be male.

I stood for awhile and decided to stick with the plan that seemed the most effective: wait for someone to come in and ask for help. Luckily someone did stroll through and I was able to catch their attention, I was behind the shower curtain, and asked them to go to room 418 and to tell my roommate to please bring me a towel. I did get a funny facial expression and felt like a complete moron, but she went on to help me out and relayed the message. Soon, I heard the clip clop of Manna’s clogs and the comforting sound of her voice, which I knew would be accompanied by a towel.

“Alright, where are you?” she said as I peeked my hard out once again from the plastic, yellow shower curtain and smiled.

I couldn’t help but laugh and thanked her so much. She thought I was playing a trick on her when the received the knock on the door and considered not going but figured I would do something like that. Good thing she took this one seriously and came to my aid.

I’ve learned one main thing after the course of this story: just remember to take a towel, Lindsay Kate. Geez o man. You goon. But it could have been worse- there could have been a fire drill. Now that’s a predicament.

1 Comments:

Blogger Greg said...

That has also happened to myself. That actually happened just recently to me. The best thing to do is take your clothes that you were wearing and dry off with them because hey, likely you won't be wearing those same clothes in the evening. Nice job staying up late as well. A 1 AM bedtime is much better than 9:30 like we had in elementary school.

8:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home