Tuesday, November 09, 2004

A Show of Snow

I guess one would say that I have been dreading the word “snow” ever since I arrived on campus to unpack my things and begin my college education here at Edinboro. The only reason I fear the word is because of what it can do: leave me here stranded forever. Now I know that’s not possible and there is such a thing as spring, I just hate knowing that John is 100 miles away and so am I for long periods of time. Sucky weather.

Yet I can’t be so negative about all of this snow business. I really do like snow and don’t have this utter contempt for it. I am actually looking forward to playing in the fluffy white wonderland and creating some kickin’ snowman or igloo that, from the words of alumnus Mrs. Weaver, might stay in tact until May. Manna and I will have a blast. She may even teach me how to ski some weekend that we are stranded up here but due to the lack of hills around campus, I highly doubt it would be possible.

Already, though, I have seen the snow. Yes, Monday night there was landfall and accumulation. Even thought snow can bring it’s storms and worry, this stuff isn’t too bad because, heck, it’s not even sticking to the ground. Knock on wood, I predicted to be snowed in by now. Praise the Lord.

The weather is now just cold, not snowy, but cold. It occasionally gets windy and that makes situations worse when it’s 40 some degrees and the Erie wind is whipping across the University like the tornado from the Wizard of Oz that swept Dorothy’s house away. I’ve managed to stay on the ground so far. Maybe that’s what the “Freshman 15” is for: to keep students safely one the sidewalks when old man winter rolls around.

But on the bright side, lots of fun winter gear to collect! Hats, scarves, and mittens, here I come!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home