Tuesday, November 30, 2004

Tears and Cheers for Technology

I'm currently in the lab at Doucette on an Apple computer, that's right, Apple. Since the day we first recieved our old computer, a prehistoric squarish block of about 5 functions, I knew I was a PC person and I really liked playing around on that thing. Well, time has passed and now I have a Dell, which I love and had plans to marry the warm little hummer someday....until an affair with an Apple Computer crashed into my world. I met him through my major, Graphic Design, and the outlook for the Dell isn't so bright. In the end, I am going to move to Utah because I'm in love with both- I must marry both my Apple and Dell. Who knows...maybe they like the same foods to cut down on the grocery bill. They both enjoy electricity too. Who knows? It could happen.

It seems technology has been having a way with me lately, both emotionally and mentally. Crazy smart people, who created all this high-tech modern stuff? Good thing I don't know them for I'd be giving them hugs of appriciation and thanks at one moment, and then reaching for their neck to give a good pull and squeeze in a desperate plea for understanding through confusion in another.

I'll start with the heart-breaking tale first. Grab your tissues and a soft blanket with a teddy bear. Someone's going to have to dry your tears, might as well be an absorbant animal of love.

My cell phone died. I know my mother is reading this and will suddenly yell "What?!" but I have to tell her sometime. I hope and pray there is a warranty because it's my battery, and those usually run at a price that is higher than the phone itself.

How did it happen? It all started when I discovered I left my phone charger at home from when I stayed over break. in an attempt to get some kind of celluar activity with only one bar left on my power for the cell, I sought someone who also had a Verizon phone charger and got hooked up. Super! So I thought...

On my way back to the room after the charging I noticed the little bugger wouldn't turn on. After several tries of pushing the power button, my worst fars entered my mind- it's dead.

I frantically scurried to Manna for some kind of understanding of why my precious communication tool has left me for the virutal afterlife. She then preceeds to tell me a cell phone horror story of her own that I was now re-living. Sh used a phone charger of a different person and the batter was over-charged and required a new battery, which in effect, required a new phone.

I started to squeal with fear.

I then spoke with Kevin and he began to tell me about how Verizon stores fix phones for free and will help me out. Hearing the news, I wanted to jump n the car right then and there to head over to the nearest location where they could bring my little phone back to life.

i don't know what I'll do. If there is a warranty, I'll have to get a new battery. If not...I'll have to take it to a Verizon store or a Radio Shak to see what the deal is. I even checked the internet website for explanation of the freak accident and they suggested a new battery. I sheepishly asked Manna how much a battery was for a cell phone. She told me around $30.00.

I started to weap with fear.

Terrible! It's not my only means on communication, but it's a security blanket! i rarely get calls in class from people and usually use it for talking to John, but it's my baby! How could this happen? What have I done? Better question, what will my mother do to me? Help!

Currently there is a memorial on the television in our room for the phone. It is doing one of those "presidental viewings" like they do in the White House. On top of the TV, my cell phone rests in peace, without a ring or a beep or a jingle out of it, surrounded by dried, white roses that are Manna's from Ethan. On of of the cell phone lays two pedals, as if in a coffin and presented for burial. I wrote a short memoir on a post-it note and attached it to the front of the TV. On the dry erase board. I posted a message board for sympathies for my loss and prayers for manna's phone (which is broken on the oustide, but still functional).

Eek.

But on a happy note, I am actually typing on an Apple computer, something I somewhat feared for I love my little PC with all it's windows and such. We are in here working on a logo for a company called "Two Trees" and in the process, playing around with the fun features of the many Adobe products. It is pretty fun, even though I am in the dark in most areas of the project. Fortunatly, I have an Intro to Computer Software class next semester with the teacher I currently have, who also doubles as my advisor.

On either side of me in class, Maurice, an Apple illiterate user, and Adam, and Apple pro. This setup was great because in the end, I didn't feel too stupid or too smart. Nothing bugs more more than people in my class that own macs, love macs, and know then inside and out (which is ok) but in return act like cocky pains in the rear that make you want to sit on them to the point where they wiggle and gasp out with a breath of air "I love PC's!" Sure, macs are pretty fun, everything is twisted, but those same people who scared me when I first came into the major only anger me to some extent. I now know I have the power, not everyone is a Mac master, stop your act, be human.

Yet to my dismay, I hear that I will need to purchase a certain Zip Drive thingy (can't recall the name of it, it's on the tip of my tongue.) Thankfully, they aren't that much. That's the last thing I need- an expensive toy for class ontop of a cell phone repair and Christmas. Good heavens, my future profession is going to be a hobo.

Hopefully, things work out for the best in the end. If my mother is reading this, get on AIM so I can talk to yoo that way. Also, tell me there is a warranty so I can sleep with ease tonight.

I miss my cell phone.

Mommy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home