Wednesday, November 10, 2004

The Nose Knows

Noses are funny little things. Some people love their nose and put little diamond piercing on their nostril to adorn it while others want to haul the old sniffler into the operating room for immediate plastic surgery to remove the bump that will hopefully remove the childhood memories of being called a ski slope. You can smell with noses, pick, pull, blow, fix and even pierce them like crazy now and days. But my favorite is the scents they pick up, sometimes sweet and wonderful, others leading you to the nearest garbage can.

I noticed all of this while walking back to the hall after lunch at the dining hall, Van Houten. I happened to pass a lady with a scent that reminded me of several different people and memories but yet it was different and unique. She was one of the many people I happened to pass with a scent of sensory stimuli on them for I passed a guy with cologne I have never smelled before and others with familiar scents. The nose is a neat little body part.

The colognes that John has used in the past and present I can pick up like a bloodhound on a crime scene. Whether it was at Shop N’ Save or walking around the mall, I knew if Mambo or Curve came sweeping by me. I know of White Diamonds because my mother uses it more than I ever did, I can smell my Dad’s cologne when he puts it on. (I think he’s has the same bottle for decades.) The typical grandma smell of the rich perfume she would pour on or the fragrance Rich Rumbarger leaves on my shirt after a hug (I don’t know what it is about that stuff, but it’s strong and it sticks).

I know, I know, the nose does some bad things too. It picks up the smell of fear and trouble, then odor of a smoker walking by, the hospital smell after visiting someone lingers on your clothing, the classic funeral smell, and who could forget the 4th floor male wing. I guess it depends on who you are that determines what you smell and how you interpret it. The smell of hay to one person reminds them of home while the other person it painfully recalling a vacation they took out west and their allergies started acting up. I know there is a psychology term for this that we just covered but it has escaped me. Maybe I will get ambitious and look it up.

My love of the nose is for it’s purpose- smelling. Sure it “in the way when is kissing”, as my art teacher pointed out, but the whole idea of aromas everywhere that can be picked up, it’s a busy little sucker (no pun intended). I give a star to the nose today. What do you like about your nose?

Oh, by the way, that psychology term refers to Classical Conditioning studied by Pavlov and phobias in day-to-day life. My professor can’t be near tuna or he gets sick to the stomach because of an old fishing memory gone rotten. The phobias and results from that study also are used in advertisement. Wow, this blog is turning into an educational course. Can I get some credits for this?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home