Monday, December 13, 2004

The Final Showdown

Thanks to my smart schedule planning, my 2D final critique was at 11:30, unlike the plans of my roommate who had a math final at 8:00 AM this morning. I even set my alarm to make sure she got up. Fortunately for me, I went back to bed. But before I went back, I was awoken to look out and see the handiwork of nature. Yes, it dumped. And frankly, I think it's fun. But I would have to brave the cold and windy elements on my way to Hamilton for a final showdown.

I arrived to the building and when I got to the room, I saw other's were waiting. This is typical of our professor, who is never organized or has a time-management plan. But I didn't mind for I received some extra time to put up my projects from the entire year on the wall with pins. (They were hard to push it, or am I just a wimp?)

Then the critique began and he started asking me odd questions about saturation and colors. I began to give him looks behind his back. Come on now, it's the end of the year, please make sense for one. To my wishful thinking, he got off the subject and even happened to compliment my work. But his one comment was the kicker.

"I would think about improving how much you speak up in class and our class critiques."

...Excuse moi? Je ne parle pas beaucoup? Pah!

And out of my quick wit, which rarely kick in to do defensive work for me, I replied:

"I'm not afraid of speaking informs of people."

But really, I felt like saying "Well, when we have critiques you talk nonsense for 2 hours straight that causes half of the students to fall asleep and if you want me to talk more during class, that's too bad. Like I'm going to participate in conversations amongst the students about sex, drugs, and their superficial opinions on American issues."

Ouch.

I'm too nice to say something so repulsive like that and so open-minded, so I would probably sugarcoat the whole thing. It just shocked me that he thought I had some fear of speaking in front of people! Maybe there is nothing to say, I wonder if he thought that. But the class is done with and I am passing with something like B+ or and A-, not bad considering I took that year off of art and had to get back into the rhythm of things in addition to the changes that have happened, you know, those small ones, like going to college, meeting new people, thinking about your future everyday, you know, those small ones, you do that stuff all the time, right?

Eh, maybe not.

But on the bright side...it snowed!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home