Thursday, December 09, 2004

My Evening In Boroville

Finals weeks has turned out to be a great advantage to me as a freshaman in my first year of college. As the cookie crumbled, I soon picked the pieces of dough away and saw that all my finals would be wrapped up by 4:30 on Tuesday, unlike many others who have a week long study-fest of papers and tests. Since I'm here for the weekend, I figured I'd have a lot to work on.

On the contrary.

So I am left to sit back a little bit and enjoy the smooth sailing of my first offical sememster in college. Every now and then I say to my roomie "Wow, I'm in college" and she replies by saying "Oh, no, not this again" since i do dwell to talk about the topic every now and then. I really can't believe it. I still feel like I am in this state between high school and college. Maybe it's the fact I have finally gotten used to this system of classes and teaching styles and projects. Maybe I am just mental or frustrated that my roomie brought up a Sega Genesis and it won't work. I am itching to play Sonic the Hedgehog.

Due to this abundance of time, and no Sega, I took up an offer presented by my new friend Megan to attend a Creation vs. Evolution study at 8:30 last night. Seeing that the bowling team is finished up for the year and there was no bible study for Thursday night, I decided to hop along.

I met Megan in the lobby downstairs and we walked to her car and chatted about this and that. Then we drove over to a friend of her boyfriend's house to where the study was going to be gathered. As we drove along, I noticed I had never been in that section of town. It turns out to be the quiet, little boro of Edinboro, with the trees and mailboxes of a picturesque movie setting. When we arrived at the house, the mother was waiting at the door to greet us. Apparently, the friend communtes to school because he grew up in the town, so we were meeting at his family headquarters.

We walked in the cute little home that smelled like dinner had just wrapped up. The dog, Bailey, we more than welcoming. This golden retrivier was the focus of both Megan and I's attention as we waited to figure out the plans of the night. It appeared that we were the only attenders with the exception of Megan's boyfriend who was heading up the event. So we would then move to his house to view the video about Creation vs. Evoultion, which was quite good by the way. The speaker on the tape had a lot of information in his head about the issue. I forget his name, but it was good. He talked quite fast had his jokes were on the lame side, but other than that, pretty interesting.

Yet before we left the house, I had realized something I never taken to thought before. Since Megan and her boyfriend just recently started dating, they still have that "new couple" effect going on, which is cute to watch because I can reminise back to those days. As we waited for him, I felt somewhat uncomfortable in the house, I was almost afraid to even take a seat ot play with the dog too much for fear of causing a disturbance. I realized how much I I felt at home at John's house.

I can walk into his house and not worry about knocking or being quiet about it. (Unless others are sleeping, of course) (His parents work night shifts occasionally or get up early for work.) When his parents are up and his father is in the living room, the dog occasionally barks to maintain the duty of a tough pup or just sits in the living room when I enter through the door. Either way, his Dad yells out a "Go Jesse, bite her leg off!" when Jesse comes forth and wags his tail. I laugh and tell his father I highly doubt that happening, even to a real threat to the house like a burgular.

I know where they keep their silverware and dishes, their peanutbutter and pans, and all the little nooks like the neat bathroom that is connected to the kitchen in a little nook and the attic that I still want to explore because of the childhood propaganda. I can see it all now, being around there is like a second home to me. I've been there when I've been sick with one thing or another. I even recall having a terrible cough that stayed with me for about two months and his mother being a little concerned about how she could hear me with doors closed as I attempted to cough up my liver. I've taken naps there and played games, watched a ton of movies, taken walks in the woods, fished, and I even showered there after a fishing expedition! I've bathed their dog and relaxed in their hot tub. I don't have to worry about sneezing and stirring up some dust, I can sit back and watch a football game. (Which usually turns into a nap.)

I like hanging out around there and with his family. They say they are odd ones, but what family isn't? I probably have a few good stories from my mother's side of the family that would match and raise them. Quite so. Sharon knows what I am talking about.

It's close to being home for awhile. I'll be back at old Shop 'n Save for the holidays to make a few bucks for presents for Ma, Pa, and a few others. John also gives me a double whammy by being born December 30th. (Even though September 30th is way cooler, har har.)

Oh, and by the way, my cell phone works! I'll have to blog about that sometime. It's an odd story, but it's so funny now! The weirdest stuff happens to me.

Well, I need to accomplish a few things in this class for today. (Yes, I'm on an apple again!)

Toodles!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home