Thursday, December 02, 2004

Making Up For Lost Eyelid Time

English class was dreadful today. Why you ask? I needed a nap. Remembering back to the day of my childhood, without enough sleep, waking me up from sleep, and right before I went to sleep, I could at times get a little touch, edgy, and just main grumpy and mean. Fortunately, my family witnessed a funny side of me during those times when I would occasionally be half asleep and say ridiculous things like walking out to the living room, looking down and the dog, and exclaiming “Holy Cow!”

I knew from the minute I woke up this morning I was going to need a pick me up of some sort and I wasn’t going down the dark path a former bowling team member is- no sleep, caffeine pills. My roommate is the Queen of Nap Nap, and I’m not kidding. Seriously, Manna can pass the time through a 3 hour nap at the snap of a finger. Heck, by the time your fingers get close to each other to make the snapping sound, she’ll be out like a light. Maybe she has the spirit of a cat that has reincarnated and has a knack for design- if you believe in that type of Buddiest belief. She says “You tell me when and where and BAM!” Yep, she’s a napper. She claims her boyfriend can pack away the hours with his pillow and blanket better than she can. Wow, if this is a new trend, I am a loser.

I could never nap efficiently. Sure, I used to take naps all the time when I was in the 9th grade. I had this terrible habit of going into my room and eating some butter cookies (that I still would love to find again. I bought them through a school fundraiser and they were the buttery bomb of bakery. If you have a recipe, send it to me and I will put you in my will.) Back to the story at hand, I would eat a few butter cookies out of my patriotic tin with a teddy bear on it, crawl into bed, watch television for around 15 minutes and zonk out. No, it’s not the cookies, it was my bus route. Every weekday I rose out of my warm bed to a black sky at 5:30 morning to catch the wretched cheese wagon at 6:10. So when the school had had come to a close, I felt like I went through an extensive beating. Those screaming, ignorant children didn’t help either, but kids are kids, what else can you do?

Today was an exception for the air was cold, the bed was warm, and I had some free time on my hands. I really needed a name because 1) I was tired and haven’t been getting my 8 hours, only about 7ish. Not good news for Lindsay, for I don’t function on less than 6 typically. 2) I was getting cranky. Everything was crawling under my skin. Even the kid who I ignore that is in most my classes and makes moronic comments and asks the dumbest questions was aggravating me to no end. The English class was again about nothing and all I could think about was a nap. Soon it was over and I headed straight for Snoopy.

I tried to get as comfy as I could because I know I do not possess the napping gift of Manna that enables one to nap in any kind of temperature, noise, or comfort situation. I kept my eyes closed and soon I noticed they were harder to open. Then things got hazy. Then things got dark. Then it was 5:40 in the evening, and I got back from class at 3:30

Really, it was great. I woke up actually happy and benevolent despite the crazy dream I had about people I know and a football game and all kinds of fanatical junk. I looked over to see if Manna was still in the room and at first I didn’t see her and feared everyone had gone off to dinner without me. Then I rubbed my eyes and noticed she too was napping. Aww, how sweet- roommate bonding time- group naps.

I doubt I will even get the Manna trick of napping, even is she published a book about it (Which I bet she could with all the practice she gets in the field.Too bad there isn’t a sleeping major.) But today I enjoyed the nap, even though it’s out of the norm. So did Snoopy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home