Friday, December 10, 2004

The Paintbrush

Since I have some time to kill over the weekend, I have decided to pick up the paintbrush and pull out some creativity that isn't required for a grade on the back. So I decided Thursday night to paint something for John. Then I painted some other things. And then it was 3:00 in the morning. Then it was bedtime, for class is at 2:00PM. After class, I again picked up the brush to paint something similar to the one I made for John. What has gotten into me?

Maybe it's the fumes I smell from the acrylics that I sometimes enjoy. (I am not a druggie, please, spare me that speech.) But I highly doubt (haha, pun) that it's the aroma of paint. Maybe it's boredom or just for fun. Yet it makes me feel...Different.

Should I take those art classes that are required for a graphic design degree? If you don't know, I am doing a specialized major where I am studying communication and graphic design, which is helpful for the business place. When I came into school, I had take a year off from art because my old art teacher moved away. Yet the year before that, I took an independent art study and had class at the same time. I like it, because I got to be artistic.

Things changed when I came here to start school. I now realized I might have to be artzy up against all these talented individuals that could kick my butt when it came to canvas and carving. I immediately freaked. I was out of touch with my art side and all of a sudden I was under attack by paints and pencils.

I spoke with my advisor and then decided to take the route of the specialized major, which I still enjoy. Before deciding my major, communications was in the back of my mind, I enjoy it, but I didn't want to make a living out of it. I wanted to play with fonts. Now I get to do both.

But am I at a disadvantage? I've learned a lot from my art history course (a great professor too), and a little from my Two Dementional professor. If I cut out all the other classes like Painting I or Drawing I or , is it going to hurt me in my career because I won't be as artistically well-rounded as my other co-workers? I know this is a lot of thinking ahead for a freshman in college who has practically just turned 18. My roommate kicks my butt when it comes to art. I don't even know the difference between my pencils and how to use paints. I grew up in a small town, I can't help it, I guess. Yet with a specialized major, I will have the best of both worlds...

What do you think? Gimme so feedback.

As for me, I will probably paint again over the weekend. Maybe I will take it up as a hobby, but will I need it later?

Hmm...

Oh, by the way, anyone who wants to teach me to sew, go for it. I'd love to learn how so I can make cool stuff. If I were Amish, I'd probably be dead if I had to sew my clothes and make my food from a garden and not a can.

(Oh, and don't worry, I will post pictures later of the project, but John has to get his first!)



1 Comments:

Blogger Sharon said...

I might not be the best person to give advice since I took every single course that interested me, but an art class or two doesn't hurt.
Don't forget we have artistic blood running through our veins and even if you don't think you would measure up to the other students in the class I am willing to bet that you would shine more than you are giving yourself credit for.
You never know when you will need the skills later. Employers like a well-rounded individual. It could be an asset. Keep painting. Trust me.

7:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home