Wednesday, December 15, 2004

My Tribute Blog

I don’t know where to start but I guess moving my fingers on the keyboard is a start.

I will probably never forget where I was when it happened, or at least, when I was told. Last night I had a nice conversation with my Aunt about my favorite Christmas decorations as I decorated my tree. I hadn’t had the time before two weekends ago when I was home, so I was finishing up the trim and happy to see my favorite little reminders swinging and dangling to and fro one the weak little limbs of the fake 4” eastern fir Christmas tree. My Aunt left the room to see my mother and I continued in the holiday merriment. That’s when my mother entered the room and caused me to do a double take. She told me Grandpa died.

It’s still unbelievable to think that he actually left because; with a little bit of humor here, he has pulled some good ones on us. The man was a super trooper when it came to illnesses. I don’t know what he had in him, but it should be studied for some scientific understanding. Whether it was hospital visits, cancer, broken and fractured bones, illness, and other ailments, he came bouncing back like nobody’s business with a snap of the fingers. Yet this was his time to go, the Lord called his name. It’s strange to think that we can leave the house now and only have the pets at home and no one there to watch him or hear the TV on in the room playing the 5 o’clock news at a level you can sometimes hear at the other side of the house. We’ve all gotten so accustomed to them.

Like my cousin Sharon, I have many memories of Grandpa too; some are the same! He would follow you, hanging on to you car jabbering away and making the farewell as long as he could. He’s always rant about my accomplishments in school whether it be a simple marching band parade or a band concert he attended. He loved peanut butter, pudding, and ice cream. Even those three words bring back many memories. I remember the pipe organ in his house that I was always a little fearful of knowing that the chance of a mouse coming out of now where and a squirrel landing on my head was a very real possibility. As he aged and his health condition started to go downward, I would prepare meals for him and spend some time twiddling on the piano named “Sally” as he ate his meal- with a side of a graham cracker and peanut butter, of course. He really loved visits and hated to seem them go.

Things became harder as he aged, but my mother was always there. She is a real hero- even when she was down and out with illness of her own or stress, she still got up to get him breakfast, do the laundry, and everything else that was required to keep the house in order and give him the best care anyone could ever ask for. It changed so many things in my family when he moved in with us three years ago, but now looking back on it, I’ve learned a lot, and I’ve learned a lot about my mother and her amazing determination and dedication.

Due to the Alzheimer’s disease, it became harder to speak with the guy who wouldn’t let you get a word in. But looking back at those days as a child and seeing him grow old in a loving home and with a full life, I wouldn’t want to see him go any other way, and he’d agree with me. A home would have been no place for him in the long run- he had the best here on Coffee Hollow Road with his trusty companion- Jake the cat.

It’ll be a hard holiday, for the week is filled with nothing but funeral home visits. My former Sunday school teacher and a saint who has inspired me in the church have both passed away this week on Monday. After the first viewing tonight, I somewhat dread the thought of having another tomorrow and then another Friday and a funeral Saturday.

But in the end, I cannot be pessimistic towards the holidays and put a frown across my face- I can only smile because they haven’t left us- they’ve gone on to a better place. Jim and Betty can live without pain and Grandpa and talk it up with Kathryn. I know he’ll be talking.

It’s amazing to look at see how wondrous our God is and how he offered His Son this holiday so that we may live with Him forever. Praise God for his love. There is nothing sad to cry for, because they’re up in heaven praising God.

They’re all having a ball up in heaven.

2 Comments:

Blogger Sharon said...

That was really beautiful Lindsay. Not only will our Grandfather be with Grandma but they'll also both be with Roger. Which is something I didn't think about this morning.
I know he's happy now, no longer in pain, and I have to thank God for that. Just, like you, I don't know what life is going to be without him in the background (talking!) :)
I'm so sorry for your loss of your friends.
I can't wait to see you again. I will hug you when I get there.

3:28 AM  
Blogger Melonie said...

I am so sorry about your grandfather Lindsay. I am sorry it took me so long to get over here to tell you that. You, as well, as Sharon have been in my thoughts and prayers.

6:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home