Thursday, January 27, 2005

Mustang Lindsay

Since Sharon wrote about her near-death experience on the road, I decided to write about some of mine and some of the fun occurrences in the good old automobile.

My first instance is much like Sharon’s, only less death-defying and heart stopping. I was on my way to work and as I traveled along the two lane highway a truck, much like a construction truck but not huge, was in my lane driving towards me. Luckily I saw it far enough ahead and slowed down as I tried to figure out what the heck this bimbo was up to. Then has he moved into the other lane, I saw he was passing a car, and also had the courtesy to blow his horn at me as if I were on the wrong side of the road. I would have returned the beep, but I was too dumb-founded to even process what had just happened before my eyes.

Another instance involves the snow. I finally got my license October of 2003, and the second day of work. So I was able to scurry off the work and not have to bother ma ma to come and fetch me from Franklin Village Mall every other day. Of course, winter was not too far away, and John and I had just started dating. Back in the day when I had 30 minutes breaks I would drive over to his house to visit briefly and then drive back to work since he lived close by. Little did I know that his driveway would have fun turning my car sideways as I slid down it or getting me stuck in some awkward position. You must understand, his driveway is something like 60 degree angle, so it’s pretty “uphilly” you might say. This fact causes lots of fun in the winter months. You know it’s bad when both of his parents where stuck in the driveway this past weekend and just gave up, parked the car, and walked to the house, thus, trapping John in because his car was at the top.

Lastly, I recall the incident of the cat. Animals sure do throw in a batchful of fun when they approach the pavement. It’s so scary to even see chipmunks or frogs on the road. To me, if it’s moving and it’s on the road and it isn’t made of metal and four rubber tires, it’s alive and a danger. As I drove home from John’s one night (Do you see a pattern? Haha) I encountered a pure black cat. But this encounter was brief because kitty decided to would be fun to dart in front of me at the last second; just missing its tail from being squashed by my tires. I laid the rubber in hopes of avoiding the critter and giving it a chance at life to use the 8 lives it had now instead of nine. Kitty did make it out alive, but I was crazy in the car. If I could have found that cat, I would have sat him down and had a long talk with him.

I’m not a terrible driver, nor am I tomorrow’s next Driver’s Ed instructor. But sometimes you do have to wonder if some people actually passed Driver’s Education. And other times, you just have to remain calm and ride the wave; hopefully it’s a smooth one.

2 Comments:

Blogger Suzanne said...

oh my. My heart just sinks every time I think about my son becoming of driving age! There are alot of people out there behind the wheel that would be better off on a skateboard I think. And you always have to be on the lookout for aggressive men who are SUCH A HURRY to get to the red light before you do. We should pass out valium for everyone!

1:17 PM  
Blogger Melonie said...

Lindsay, I do see a pattern or a common element, his name is John. I suggest he either drives to visit you or you get a new boyfriend :).

I swear drivers are worse in WV they are either way to laid back or in too much of a hurry to get the heck out of the state!

3:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home