Wednesday, January 19, 2005

Gather 'round, kiddies

The one great thing about my 8 o'clock class is that it requires very little thought. For instance, today he spoke to us the first ten minutes of class and assigned us read in our little journal/book for the rest of the class. Needless to say, the reading took about 10 mintues and then the rest of the time was for our pleasure. Luckily, we are in a computer lab so I had the oppritunity to catch up on everyone's blogs and then some.

From that class, I head on over to Intro to Mass Communications. At first, I wondered if this class would be a challenge or drag because of the time of morning and the fact that my day starts at 7:30 in the morning. Thank the good Lord I live in the buidling I do because if I were anywhere else, I'd be doomed to prepare for a 20 mintue walk to get to the other end of campus.

Anyway, back to the matter at hand, my Mass Communications class professor reminds me of an ornory, grumpy, yet humorous and somewhat perverted old man who has nothing better to do but to show up and talk to students about things going on in the world. It really does pass time. He talks in such a manner and tone that I almost feel I am sitting on the floor, indian style, and he sits in a rocking chair with a pipe puffing into the air and reminciing of the tales of old and telling little wisdom to his listeners. Even his appearance matches the description of the sterotype I've placed upon him. His face is long with lines and folds and when he speaks little accumilations of spit gather in the corner of his mouth, almost as if he was foaming and frothing like my grandfather would because he would never stop talking. Never.

Not only is this guy older, cranky, but the peverse part is quite frightening but funny at the same time. Every now and then he rants about pronography on the internet and the scandelous things going on in the media. He also tends to pick out new people every day in the class and targets odd questions out to them. Today I sat in the second row, which is pretty much the first since the rest of the class always prefers the back of the room to avoid ridicule. I knew very well that I was in striking range and if he catches you talking or laughing at something he said, he'll ask you about it.

For instance, he started talking to a student who has an older brother who had him as a teacher in college and was wondering how he was doing. Then he preceeded to dwell into the matter of his brother and this girl he thought he would marry. He was questioning the poor sister on why she hasn't yet fixed him up. She was clueless and everyone laughing. By no means was she insulted, she was chuckling too.

I then started to laugh and caught eye contact with him. He then decided to ask me if I had ever heard of this problem but I just said no and let the conversation end quickly to avoid anything else. Then he started getting off topic, as usual, and decided to talk about how my generation is staying at home till they are 30 years old. He refered to these people as "twixers" or something unfamiliar to me like that. Then he asked me if I was going to be a "twixer" when I graduated college.

"No, no." Simple, smart, and straight-forward.

"Ahh, you, I bet your parents love you and want to keep you till you're 40 if they could." He remarked.

I just smiled and laughed. Maybe the innocent face that I hold from looking very premature of being in college has finally paid off. Now the impression people get is not innocent and adorable. I can live with that. haha.

Other than that news, it's a frozen tundra in Edinboro and I've decided to hibernate unless prompted to go to class. The flu is leaving me but I'm still congested. Oh joy. Better start getting to work in class here.

Au Revoir, mes amis.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home