Friday, January 14, 2005

Blue Screen of Death

For Christmas this year Dad bought me a computer program called "The Living Bible". This program holds over 30 different translations of the bible along with daily devotional and all kinds of other interesting and fun information. I decided to install the program onto my PC Wednesday night for lack of anything better to do. It’s the beginning of a new semester- you get bored a bit more often that usual.

After the entire installation was complete, I was notified by my computer that I needed a re-start to completely finish the process. Okay, click and wait. As I chatting to Wuvor on the phone, the computer did its job and began to re-start. Or I thought.

I was sitting on my desk and talking about the day when I glanced over at my precious little humming machine that I use all day long- whether it be for the weather in the morning, schoolwork, or recreation for talking to pals all over the state. I glanced over and that’s when I saw it.

The blue screen of death.

STOP: c00000012 {Fatal System Error} Blah blah blah…..The system has been shut down.

Oh…dear….no. I read it over and over again trying to comprehend what had just happened. All of a sudden my happy and, what I thought was, healthy computer took a nose dive into technological cardiac arrest. When you have a computer and you are welcomed by the blue screen of death, you’ve found something you never wanted to encounter- well, death!

I frantically yelled Roomie’s name in hope that she would have the quick fix for my doom of blue. She built her own computer with her boyfriend. They know all the parts, gizmos, and gadgets. I am learning, but I know little compared to her; so I called upon her expertise. She fiddled and looked into the one page you can access by F2. Nothing appeared to be wrong to her.

Well, I freaked. It’s a brand new computer! I bought it August 20th, 2004 for school. It’s not even a yearling and it’s already biting the dust. Sure, I know things don’t last long in the world of science and new technology, but this is quite premature, especially for someone as poor as I am that can’t afford to repair.

I started with calling Dell the next day to report the case and seek help. I was hoping that my warranty was still in effect and hopefully they could come and fix my problem free of charge. I gave them one of my arms and legs, they should try to compensate.

After going through about 3 oriental over-the-phone technicians they reported to me three things:
I had a three month warranty when I bought the machine. This translates into what I call “Crap out of luck”.
The problem that has occurred is most likely due to a virus that was activated when I re-booted my system. (Dell’s quick line to solve the problem).
To now get any further assistance for re-installing windows and losing all my memory on my computer, I would have to pay a fee starting at $39.99

Let’s just say that after the last nine I decided to tell them I was going to “think about it”. I did. A few seconds went by and I decided that I wasn’t going to pay that to them when I know a computer saint. He’s a close friend of my father’s that is a brain when it comes to hard drives, Windows, and all that fun computer knowledge. This past summer our computer was attacked our home computer with a virus and brought to its knees until he came to the rescue and helped us out.

I dropped the tower off at his house for him to work on this afternoon. I told him to take his time and gave him my sincerest appreciation for doing such a noble thing. He either believes it has to do with the hardware or a virus. A virus is my guess. So now my only hope is a miracle.

Now without my little computer of glow and hum, I have to ask Roomie about the weather every morning and result to using the labs if I need anything done. I can’t write e-mails to Wuvor and I can’t talk to my buddies. I can’t blog, I can’t read the blogs…I feel so weak! Just as long as my computer is ok…I can do without it because I have faith in this guy. Maybe this is God’s way of telling me to get off the computer a little bit, haha. How ironic.

I’d like to find the person who sent this virus. I cannot put in detail what I would do to him, or any virus creator at that, but it’s too graphic for blogs that can be posted on the internet.

Have a happy and humming day!

2 Comments:

Blogger Sharon said...

I have had similar problems. AdAware is a good program to download for removing spyware and malware. I use Norton Anti Virus too, though that doesn't necessarily remove everything, but it's a good start.

Hope your computer gets fixed this weekend!! I am addicted to your blog. :)

10:32 AM  
Blogger Melonie said...

Mine did the same thing, only I had soooo much spyware and adware that it shut down. BOOM everything quit, the keyboard, the mouse, etc. One of our computer saints came over and fixed it 2 days and 15 hours later it was fine. Gotta hate the spy and/or ad ware.

8:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home