Wednesday, April 27, 2005

The End Is Near

No, this isn’t a post about the apocalypse or any kind of dark and mysterious fortune telling that you see in the grocery time on tabloids; it’s about the wrapping up of my spring semester here at Edinboro and the hustle and bustle involved.

Today is a “Reading Day”, some instituted day to do work and sleep in well past the morning portion of the day. It’s EUP’s way of saying “Sorry we made you get up early in the morning when it was -10 degrees outside, here’s a day off, enjoy, come again”. I don’t mind the break in schedule, it gives me time to finish up one of the many study guides I am working on for finals that are right around the bend. Reading Days also give me a change to think random thought without guilt. I tend to daydream about the list for the next time I go to Wal-Mart rather than the project that is due on Monday. It’s an odd system, maybe I should have majored in psychology. But then I’d daydream through that one too…

Last night was the final night of the Gathering. For those of you who are new to the blog or have been reading the blog and have no ooper idea what the heck I am talking about, the Gathering isn’t a cult for one, it’s an awesome time to hang out with friends and to hear the young adult ministry leader speak and have worship music. It’s a great time and has really kept me going here in Edinboro. Over time Tuesday nights became extra special because I knew I was busting out of the old dormitory regiment and out into society. It’s a great feeling when that happens, it really is.

After the last Gathering, which was filled with worship, lots of food, a short message, and the awesome yet insane movie Napoleon Dynamite, I was pooped and ready to hit the hay. Previously yesterday I ran for 33 minutes through Edinboro, and all time record for my running times in college. My old 5K time from 2 years ago was something like that, so it was over 3.1 miles for sure. The side stitches just weren’t happening yesterday and the energy was keeping me going. My main problem with running is that I need to get my butt out there first. It’s the beginning “heeve hoo” I need to get into gear.

Anyway, (that was a tangent), after the night of excitement, I was off to bed but not before 1AM. I caught news from an unknown source that a fire drill would take place between 12AM-1AM Wednesday morning. Of course, it was raining but due to the informant telling me of the drill, I have my shoes and umbrella ready to go.

This room is very empty. As I look around the colorless square box I live in, I see that all the warmth has been sucked out of it. The only items remaining are large appliances like the fridge and our computers. In a way I’ll be glad to see the school work come to an end, but in the same way, I will hate to see my friends and life here leave. The Gathering, friends, the bowling gang, it will be 4 months without them. This I will truly miss as I head on to I79 for the last time for roughly 3 months. Who knows what the summer has in store for me. Sure, I’ve made a list of things I would like to do, like lead the bible study back home on Thursday nights, go riding with Dad on the Harley, Visit Sharon and other friends, but I will never know what is going to happen. It’s what spices up life- the unexpected variable. I’m not one for math, so applaud that use of terminology right there.

I’m off to finish some more work and to try to motivate myself outside after that successful day of running. The lazy inner-me is saying “You ran all that yesterday?! You should take the day off” whereas the ambitious and health-oriented-me is saying “I can still see the flubber on your right butt cheek. Consistency for the 5K, train for a fast time, get stronger, do it.” Hmm….I wonder which will win…have a great day, I’m off to try to settle the argument with my inner self! Haha.

2 Comments:

Blogger Suzanne said...

shoot. I'm rooting for the lazy self that sais to take the day off!

And when she's done telling you that...have her come over here and give me the day off too!! I could really use the sleep! ha ha

5:26 AM  
Blogger Greg said...

"Reading Day!" Sounds like Edinboro is just a bit lazier than SRU. We don't have reading days, we become better intellectuals and scholars.
No, actually if we had reading days, it would give the students another day to drink, drink, and drink. Thus is SRU.

3:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home