Monday, April 11, 2005

"Stick a fork in me Jerry, I’m done…”

After the massive amount of pictures being posted in the last 2 days, I will halt and actually post something for you to read. From the picture that was posted, you can see that it was beautiful out and I enjoyed a pic-a-nic with the girlies next to Fake Lake (there is a lake in the middle of the campus, man-made for run-off because of the parking lots, nice fountain, too bad we get to see it 2 months out of the time we are here.)

unfortunately, I gave my skin the benefit of the doubt, thinking that I could withstand an hour to an hour in a half in the afternoon glow. Now I’m left singing a song that sounds something like…

“You say tomato, I saw tomato…”

My legs, arms, and face are all freshly pink from the minimal rays of yesterday’s sunlight. I did know better than that but I didn’t know it would happen so fast. It would usually take longer to get a burn like this, maybe my skin has taken a few steps backward in life and soon I’ll have to apply SPF 50 before even leaving the front door.

To add to the added warmth I tried to sleep with last night, my calves are having a strike against running and are hard as the pavement I run on not to mention the terrible dream I had last night about my dog. Hoo roo, at least we aren’t doing anything in English right now! Shhh…

Crap. I think I just discovered my scalp was burnt. I’m becoming a hermit.

If you’ve ever met me, you know I’m the pastiest white girl on the block. All my friends from high school were aware of this, especially when we spend time outside and I turned into a piece of raw meat on the barbie. Co-workers at Shop N’ Save would say to me “I’m never seen anyone as white as you!” Nice to know.

But I do take some pride in being extra white and never changing my color from season to season, it gives me an opportunity to stress to America’s gals about their tanning practices. I know I can only say so much because in a world that is sometimes too fixed on “seeing is believing”, the ignore the reality that someday in the near future they will turn into prunes, or a burnt pancake, either one, you pick. In addition to the trendy tanning that goes on across the country, many girls will grow up tanning their skin away until year later when they are diagnosed with skin cancer. It’s not acne, it’s the real deal.

That and osteoporosis. I can’t believe how many people I run into who cut calcium out of the diet because they “don’t like milk” and rather take a supplement, which they don’t. I burn easily, I don’t want to break easily too. Then I’ll just be a cracked open egg who gets fried on the pan for morning breakfast.

I guess I am done ranting for now. I should post a column I once wrote for my English AP class my senior year. It was a sarcastic letter about tanning and all of its practices. Even though my teacher raved about it, I didn’t think it was all that good, and it wasn’t selected to be in the paper with other of my classmates work (and if I can have my two scents, the works that did get published were ooper boring, not to mention they were people I didn’t really care for…)

So wise word of the day for everyone: SUNSCREEN!

My main goal for the day: FINDIND SOMEONE WITH ALOE VERA! My jeans are about to catch on fire! Later!

2 Comments:

Blogger Suzanne said...

Ouchie! Sunburn is a bummer.
I'm pasty white too Lindsay and while sometimes I think I should just get a little color...(I tan very easily), my common sense talks me right out of it. Here's something else to support your skin cancer theory. The girls I used to hang out with in high school, have all had skin cancers removed...and...they look much older than me. All those years of diligently avoiding sun damage has paid off for me. You'll be in your 40's one day, and people will say "wow you don't look a day over 30"! -grin-
Now go find that aloe plant!

6:25 AM  
Blogger Moogie said...

Ouch...that sounds painful. I hope it gets better soon.

12:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home