Saturday, April 30, 2005

What’s Shakin’ Sweet Bacon?

Even though I posted on Wednesday, all sorts of things have occurred between Wednesday and Saturday night. I’ll just give the traditional run down so you can get the jist of the few past days so you can enter into more than one day in the life of Lindsay K. but three! What a deal! Who needs Wal-Mart?

Thursday’s main event occurred later on in the day. It was the welcoming and the farewell for Highland Ambassadors. Since I promised I would explain what it is, I guess I better hold true to my word and gibber about it for a second.

Highland Ambassadors is a service organization on campus that assists the university in events as well as the community. You can find one of these red-blazer ambassadors at various campus events like orientation, move-in day, candle lighting service, homecoming, and commencement along with other various activities throughout the year. The organization was created about eight years ago by our current president Frank G. Pogue. In order to become a Highland Ambassador, you must maintain a 2.5 QPA and serve a minimum of 20 service hours, maximum of 40 per semester and a minimum of 60 per year. To find out more, follow the link Highland Ambassadors.

Over stressing whether I would be properly dressed for the occasion or not and asking about 5 or 6 people in the time span of an hour, I finally headed over to the Alumni house with my friend from the PH who is also an Ambassador. This house proved to me that my money is going towards something on this campus. Even though it was built years ago, it still is permeated with that unique “new house” smell every time you enter.

Once the majority arrived the buffet table was open for pickings. I was delighted to have a smore that they were serving with a little flame that you could burn your own marshmallow and smack it with the Hershey’s chocolate and graham cracker. I really have never eaten many smores in my day, so I’m making up for lost time. I should have had two…and then my heart would have 1 less heart beat. Decisions, decisions.

I wish they would have set up a camera for the table. Since the seating was off to the side, I had prime seating to watch people do the craziest things when trying to properly place an assorted amount of food on the cheap black saucers that were provided. Food was falling from dishes, trays, and hitting the floor. People were shuffling all over each other to grab something in the crammed circle of goodies. It reminded me of the embarrassing incident with my father and the prongs. We were at a presentation day for Edinboro when I was still searching for a school to attend, sometime in March a year ago, for a breakfast welcome broo- ha ha. Of course, like any savvy university, they provided a complete smorgasbord of treats and pastries on the side table as people entered before the event started. And of course, my father makes his way over to the table to pick up a coffee and doughnut. One way or another his dexterity failed him and the prongs he was using to pick up food with fell on the floor. Looking around to see if anyone was watching, he just picked them up, brushed it off, and placed them back nonchalantly. He even considered kicked them under the table, but decided to be civil while being out in public. But the breakfast must have impressed him; he told his co-workers that the college with the best breakfast was the one he was sending me to. I can’t see myself going to the other school we were looking at A.K.A the black hole. There isn’t all that much in California compared to Edinboro.

The rest of the meeting was nice. They had around 20 people leaving the group and 27 new inductees. I didn’t know I was going to meet the president, I thought it was all for the people graduating and receiving their plaid stoles for graduations day. I received 2 pins, one saying “Edinboro Family” and the other “Highland Ambassadors”. Small, but cute. I’ll be sure to wear the Edinboro family pin on my Shop N’ Save smock for work. Pogue told us it’s $100.00 fine if he finds us without it on. I can’t afford that kind of punishment ;)

Friday night’s excitement was a dinner at the PH (the Potter’s House). For those of you who don’t know what I mean when I say the PH, I’ll just give you a rundown. It’s an awesome house where seven people live together and reach out to the community through Christian fellowship. I’ve gotten a chance to meet all the girls of the house and love spending time there with the girls to hang out, not to mention the occasional laundry day. It’s nothing like a frat house, but it sure must have looked like it Friday night! It’s a big house, with 2 kitchens, 2 living rooms, 7 bedrooms, 1 dining room, 1 office, and a partridge in a pear tree, but it was crammed Friday night from people all over campus. It was the end-of-the-year bash where 40 people showed up for a pot luck and music by a fellow that used to work at Disney World playing the piano and dressing up as characters. I prepared the ever-popular scalloped potatoes for the dinner. Shockingly, after an hour and a half of the celery, cheese, butter, onions, spices and potatoes being in the oven, they were finally done and the first food to be topped off and finished down to the bare bottom of the tray. Needless to say, I was tickled pink. And it was a 5lb bag!

We all had a great time. It’s surreal to think I’ve been in college a whole year. Sometimes I just randomly think “Wow, I’m in college”. It’s hard to believe, because I am always a kid at heart. But looking back, I wouldn’t have the year any other way. I’ve learned so much and made some great friends, especially second semester. God has truly blessed me. I’m already thinking of next year, the way I’ll have my room, the decorations, the books I’ll have to buy, and the goals I would like to achieve. (And it turns out that my books will cost under $100.00 by far, which always puts a smile on any college student’s face, no matter what kind of day you’re having.)

Summer time will be interesting, to say the least. A week after hauling all of my endless junk home from my little dorm room, I’ll be off for four days at a conference for bible study leadership in Ligonier with my friend from home Cody , who now attends Penn State for computer science.

Enjoy the rest of the weekend. Peathe out!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home