Tuesday, September 28, 2004

Brother, Can You Spare A Quarter?

There are times in life where you just want to crawl under the nearest rock around and stay there for awhile to hide from the public and to wallow in your own stupidity. There are those times, and one of them occurred today.

On the way back from College Writing Skills 101, I enjoyed the company of Liz, fellow classmate who lives on my floor, as we walked back to Rose Hall. We chit chatted about various things, mostly about that ditsy and crazy class. It is usually nice to have someone to talk on the journey back; it makes time go by faster.

So as we neared the doors, on the sidewalk my redneck eye caught the glimmer of a shiny quarter on the ground. First, my mind processes that this is an extraordinary finding. Usually you’ll find a penny or even a nickel, maybe a dime, but never a quarter. I gleefully exclaimed “Ooo! A quarter!” I stopped to pick it up. As I reached for it, the back of the brain sends me a signal that something is around this quarter, stop it, and don’t touch. Yet the money-loving side of my brain overrides the idea and proceeds to reach for the shiny gem. That’s when it hits me. The silly little quarter is glued down to the sidewalk. I quickly stop what I am doing and remain walking position, hoping there is not a sole around that saw the embarrassment that had just taken place. I chuckled at myself but in self-pity for my intellect, I wanted to run away like a humiliated school girl.

Now that I look back on it, it is funny and has caused me to think. (Danger Will Robinson.) This funny little prank at first angered me at the cruel people who devised such an idea to waste a precious quarter and fool people into picking it up. Yet as I look back, I would have glued down a quarter too for a laugh. I have inherited my father’s wit and silly and sometimes strange sense of humor; much like the humor you experience when you watch America’s home videos and see others making a fool of themselves on video. I guess a joke is a joke, never to be taken too seriously, even a little prank like this. Going on a rampage on it would not be worth the cost.

1 Comments:

Blogger Sharon said...

Hi Lindsay! To put links up on your site, check out www.blogrolling.com. If you email me directly I can give you better instructions for what to do after that -- if you don't use blogrolling.com, you have to insert each link into the template with code for each link each time. Blogrolling.com inserts the code for the links for you and you only have to insert their code once. The hard part for me was figuring out where the code was supposed to go....but I'll be glad to walk you through it! :)

1:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home