Friday, January 28, 2005

Bear or Bare Suits?

Times like these I wish I was an over-weight, furry, blubber insulated polar bear. It was -2 this morning with a wind chill of -2. Honestly, the cool and crisp air on my face felt like a hundred little needles pricking themselves into my face. Times like these take me back to the days where I went to class with a sweat shirt, I wore t-shirts, and I didn’t have to power walk my way to class because there wasn’t a chance of one of my limbs freezing off. Every now and then I take a look at the snow and pretend its sand. Then I begin to miss Florida.

I traveled down to Vero Beach, Florida this past summer with Wuvor. Many of his relatives reside there so we decided to take the trip and I would finally get my change to see the beach for the first time. I really did love it. I actually didn’t want to come home. The beach was great with its smooth waves that you could ride or the sand that was everywhere when you returned home into the air conditioning.

Wuvor asked me if I would mind going back to Florida for Christmas. At first, I totally disagreed because Christmas to me has snow, family, and tradition. I turned down the idea and asked if we could possibly go this summer. Yet in my intercultural communications class, I find myself day dreaming about Florida, even around the holidays. It’s one of those classes that make you feel compelled to do something out of the ordinary after you leave. For instance, after my Women’s wellness and fitness class I have the urge to go out and run a mile right then and there. “Let’s sprint over there! Tone that muscle!” Of course, that is a great benefit of that class since my roommate and I have made plans to exercise for an hour each day. But when I leave Intercultural communications, I feel like seeing the world and experiencing new cultures and a new pattern of life. I told wuvor this but then it dawned on me that the Christmas of 05 will be much different than this past Christmas. It will be the first “official” Christmas without Grandpa, which makes me believe that my family won’t let me take the trip to Florida and rather have me home for the holidays. I haven’t thought about it much after that, mostly because I would rather go in the summer because of the extra warmth (something I could really go for right about now). Besides, if I stick to the regiment of exercise and winsor pilates, I ought to be in prime shape to be hopping around in my favorite bathing suit. (I just have to choose which one it is, I own about four of them…)

But for now, I’m focuses on the day ahead (without classes) and the trip to Cleveland tonight with the Potter’s house ministry gals. Yes, Cleveland. It’s a night out on the town as we go out to some place called “Booka do Bepo’s” to eat a huge meal of food that is realtivly cheap when you bring a gang of people with you. I’ll take my camera…

1 Comments:

Blogger Suzanne said...

Stay warm ! Brrrrr.

12:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home