Tuesday, May 15, 2007

What a vacation looks like


Brakes are a funny thing, especially on automobiles. Either they slow us down because we see caution or reason to slow down ahead or we see caution and must stop as soon as possibly. It appears that I have pulled the breaks on my lifestyle right now, and the whiplash is weird.

What does vacation look like? It's getting 10 hours of sleep, watching TV programs you didn't really plan on watching, and taking naps right before bed for the reason of just "feeling like it". It's hard to leave contiunous months of community to a quiet house shared by myself and pets during the day. It's the calm before the storm, or the "different" vacation, also called "California".

Even though it appears that my vacation thus far is a laid back approach to a summer with a bowl of Cherrios over the show of Ellen at 10:00AM, it's therapeutic. It's time for a rest. A time for a slow down. And rest it shall be. To savor the day, savor the moment of home, the blessing of family, the gift of friendships, and to bask in the presense of an all-powerful God.

What a vacation looks like? I'm not really sure. I'm not close to the tropics at all. But a slow down and a drawing near, that's what I want.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hopefully I will be able to confidently proclaim I have had a vacation by the end of this summer, because all too often too many of us do not and cannot see a way to really relax and to savor the little moments of life. Vacations are necessary, and I hope I am able to do this and not push off my summer as only a time for work. I pray for the brakes to be applied because if I only use the gas pedal I will find my life to be a wreck and wonder what happened.

Ruth

5:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home