Tuesday, July 10, 2007

From the middle of the backseat

A common theme for this summer is carpooling. Intense carpooling. Limited space, many bodies, and shuffling to and fro from location to location, calling each other endlessly to assure we are accounted for all of our fellow interns.

Yesterday was quite like that. Since I headed back from the offices early and my evening plans had been canceled, news of traveling to Santa Monica beach for the late hours of Monday sounded like a great deal. Eventually, after the phone calls, seat arrangements, and discussion, we headed out of Los Feliz towards the Pacific Ocean.

Sometimes I feel like my best thoughts can be collected traveling in the car, more specifically, the middle seat in the cab of a Chevy pick-up truck. As I reflected upon the latest developments in support raising, I started to dwell upon the concept of possibilities. Where we were headed and an element of where we were going got this thought train fired up. There's something about shopping that appeals to me when I had money and when I might spend money (but in all reality, I don't because I'm outrageously cheap). But having the option to spend money, the possibility is somewhat freeing. Pretty simple concept. And then I thought about lack of possibilities.

There is something enslaving about the lack of possibilities when they seem like common rights to everyone else. To wake up in the morning without employment. To yearn for a better future for your children when you simply don't have the finances. To live in a place where basic rights are prohibited. Abuse. Neglect. Disregard for people with exploding amount of human worth and dignity.

How can I give someone else a chance to explore their possibilities? Where does one even begin? Seems like an overwhelming task. Yet, as I write this, giving these chances for intensified living just might be easier than one would think.

Buy a student a cup of coffee.

Serve at a food service center.

Donate funds to a greater cause.

Give someone a car ride.

Cast a smile.

Support a child.

Extend arms for hugs.

Possibilities seem as if they would only consist of material things. Granted, those things do create possibilities. But possibilities derive from the heart. Touching a heart and being intentional. Simplicity and possibilities appear to correspond.

I've been touched by being given possibilities over a sandwich at the bagel shop, a conversation in the living room, and being given the great opportunity to experience ministry in LA through the gifts of others. It's a inverse relationship because when others are looking for n extended hand, I will remember the hands extended to me. Each month 3 friends and I remember the many hands that have provided love and a future and give to a child thousands of miles away in Columbia so that we may aid her in endless possibilities. Because we believe that she is worth endless dignity.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home