Friday, June 15, 2007

A Shower named Serenity

American culture is sometimes so weird when you meet people from other parts of the world. One area of ambiguity is in the essense of time and busyness.

Busy.

I hate that word. It has a terrible taste that comes with it. The excuse
"I'm busy" gives me the willies because I used it like a right to excuse me from things just because "I'm busy". And then, in retrospect, the busyness was actually worthless.

If there's one major thing I learned this past year, it was about time management. In the fall after returning from the summer break in Ocean City, I found myself getting burned out faster than a bonfire admist a pouring rain at a potluck (never seen that before...). Then my mentor and I chit chatted as I was broken and exhausted. So exhasuted that the things I used to enjoy became tasteless and empty. Then it all made sense. I didn't rest. At all.

18 hour days. Up early, late to bed, and working througout the day without even a pause.
So I learned the meaning of rest. Beginning it was difficult. I couldn't unclutter my mind with the things of the day and what needed to be done, what I could be doing...and the list could go on forever. But putting myself into a place of rest and establishing rest in the pattern of my life has been an asset, a very valuable asset that even Christ used. Honestly, the crowds followed all the time, but he made a point to get away and refocus.

Because of my value of rest and also the pattern of my previous part time job at McLane, I am enjoying the lack of structure at this internship. It's initiatve based, being proactive, and jumping into your area of interest rather than just waiting for someone to give you a job. And because of this, I feel a better opportunity to find rest in reading a book, taking a run, journaling, or writing a blog.

When you learn to rest, you find places that give you a specific sense of serenity. It might not be a walk as it is for Susie down the street. Serenity looks different for everyone. A clean room. A great novel. A painting. A shower.

A shower.

The place the female interns are housed in until this monday aren't top of the line but rather a dorm like situation. Despite the awkward bed that is about to release a spring into my spleen while sleeping, there are some benefits. Laundry is realitivly cheap for California. The food service provides lots of fruit for lunch and dinner. And the showers are suberb.
I've always loved showers and baths. In fact, my goal for my own home someday is to have a round bathtub. I'm a shower fan, but a bathtub like that?! You can't deny it. It'sa slice of heaven. Water has always been a fasantation of mine whether it's the pool, a spa, or even a lake. I believe one of the reasons I enjoy washing dishes so much is because of the water trickling and running all over my hands. But showers each day are a blessing. Taken for granted.

Warm water. Hot water. Whatever you wish. Steady stream that is just right. Long, steamy showers that take you to a place where time stops and soap reigns. Thoughts can focus, thoughts can drift. Restoration. Peace.

Serenity.

So today, find your shower wherever it may be - indoors, outdoors, or lost in imagination or creativity.
Because resting is living with a healthy heartbeat.

1 Comments:

Blogger Greg said...

Showers are fun. I usually stare at the wall during them while thinking about the various items that are probably manifesting themselves there as well as the drain that won't drain.

9:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home