Tuesday, May 22, 2007

The Unknown Privledge

In the line at a store.

On the phone with a clerk.

Having a resume reviewed.

Being caught in the tangled webs of higher education forces you to make a lot of important calls and appearances to different office in order to obtain aid, credits, or whatever be the matter. And it's been hitting me lately about the influence I have, and I'm only a white woman.

I believe there is a lot of bias that goes on. In face, I'm pretty sure of it. And as a single white american woman, I stop and wonder about about the privledge of the white american man. I feel that many do not understand the immediate advantage that can be given to them without even thinking. Even in my own instances, I don't notice the "advantage" I may have over someone who is discriminated because of color, or race, or sex. And it makes me wonder what I can do understand it more, to lend a helping hand, and to stop my own discriminations that go on inside.

It's crazy - the whole indiscrimination bit - and it's so vain. We could all care less about the hair color of our best friend or the color of eyes of our spouse, because we know their story, we see more than appearance. Imagine seeing the world with a different set of glasses. A prescription for our eyes that would go straight to our hearts. Or vice versa.

Because people are worth dying for. Infinite worth. So much worth, it's screamed in each breath and each beat of a heart. Value and worth.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home