Wednesday, June 06, 2007

Play It Up.

Pictures to the right - William Carey University
Administrative Offices for Mosaic



I used to believe I knew a lot about community. I have practically spent the last 10 month in community, which includes a roommate plus many others. I thought I knew a great deal. And then I came to California.

God keeps me on my toes, that is for sure. It seems to be the constant that when I become adjusted, he pulls the rug from underneath me and shows me a new rug I didn't even know I was standing on.

The group of interns here are a different breed than any other I've ever encountered. But don't read this the wrong way and percieve that this community is lacking. If anything, I believe they are the most hard core in some respects.

I've been observing and staying quiet for some reason lately, but I believe I am just taking a natural process, allowing myself to grow into the realm of community in my own fashion. These barbarians are prayer and spirit driven individuals who are desperatly seeking to serve and to sacrifice, to love people passionately. I'm challenged without saying a single word. Just observing.

Another thing I discovered about all communities through this gang from all over the world is that play is essential in so many ways. Whether it is laughing at hilarious childhood stories, splashing water in the bathroom, or playing an intense game of Ultimate Frisbee, play is a bonding glue that cannot be replaced. I see in the communities I've lived in the past, and I see it now. Laughter truly is a medicene that is irreplacable.

The weather is beautiful today. Like everyday, pretty much. I know, woe is me.

I believe my word for the summer is challenge. And my strength for the summer is my Beloved.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home