Friday, June 29, 2007

Soaking.

The sunshine in this state rocks my world. I am at the office this afternoon for a spell and gazing out the window in awe of the misty mountains, towering palm trees, and radiant sun that casts a beautiful glow upon the landscapes in Pasadena.

I love new experiences like this. I recently took a strength finder test and discovered that adaptability was one of my strengths, which does surprise me but doesn't. Taking that strength finder, first of all, was amazing. Sometimes I find myself being all too hard on myself, that I don't do anything well rather, it could always be better. But seeing that I have evident strengths in certain areas was great to know; somewhat affirming.

Spending time in new places is a hobby I want to instill in my life forever. I have a long list of places I'd enjoy visiting. Ireland. England. All 50 states. Australia. You know, the typical. Among those are more specific locations like L'Abri, learning centers all over the world. The Fellows Initiative,which are great community experiences while taking your Masters. And visiting people I know and love. Even with access to a car, I've started to experience some of that. Nothing like a great road trips with the ipod and the windows down.

But I know at the core of my that there is something about PA that will always capture my heart and remain there, expecially Coffee Hollow. Living in LA hasn't been some horrendous experience of culture shock. In fact, I don't think I experienced any kind of culture shock. But in the midst of living in a new place with a different structure of community, there are certain things about the homestead that I wish for, and miss.
The smell of a grill while relaxing in the lagoon-shaped pool.

Fresh-cut grass on a lazy Saturday.

Yard saling in the morning followed by a lunchtime samich.

Random and strange projects from the garage.

A morning on the porch as the dog sunbathes.

Afternoon soaps down the road at the relatives.

Seeing family. Seeing friends. Seeing pets.

Smelling the hay that probably still hasn't been cut.

I'm sure the list could go on and on, because it's my hometown. My roots. And even though I am soaking up LA like a sponge, I will never cease to soak up the others as well.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home