Wednesday, September 29, 2004

Fireplaces in Edinboro

After a rough day, there is nothing like going home and being warm and cozy, sitting at the kitchen table and sipping a drink or watching a movie. Today was another rough and through God’s grace, I found a home: 316 Meadville Street.

It appeared I was the only one who ventured across the street and came for the 6:30 Bible Study at the home of Kristin Silva, Campus Ministry Coordinator. I met Kristin through e-mail before arriving on the Edinboro campus because I knew for a fact that I needed and wanted some connection to God due to the loss of the usual Sunday night youth group gatherings. Eventually we finally gathered for lunch one day at the U.C where I met a very nice and dedicated Christian. She kept me up-to-date about the things going on around the campus and various activities I could participate in. Of course, I’m still in my hibernation stage, and only do a few things a week. (I’m actually enjoying it quite a lot because of the transition from being a part of too much from Band to Youth Puppet Ministry to a simple bowling member of team RamRod and a jogger with my roommate.) I first went to the Bible Study last week and had a good time being in contact with other people that shared the same beliefs and ideas as me. I also enjoyed the atmosphere of a home- not a room or an institution, a home.

Tonight I had another pleasant experience. Since I was the only one who showed up for the weekly study, I chatted for an hour and 45 minutes with several people about childhood stories, food, the university, and just plain small talk. The house is a dwelling place to 8 girls in total. This classic and squeaky house is like labyrinth of rooms, stairs, nooks and crannies. Frankly, I loved it. The idea of being in a warm environment made my evening much better. They assured me I would survive the winter, who some good teachers were, (Becca, one of the residents, is a Graphic Design major who graduates this winter), and not to use toothpaste over twenty years old (don’t ask). Time away with people I knew I didn’t have to impress and laughed along with warmed my heart like a fire as it snows outside. It was just nice.

I guess there is nothing like good company; especially Christian company that you can go to. I am very welcome to come there to study or watch a movie anytime I like. And frankly, I may take up the offer in some spare time every now and then. Because some days you just need a fireplace.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home