Sunday, May 14, 2006

Gems and Jewels

No one can really put a price on motherhood. I think it's beautiful that everyone has a mother, it's such an intrinsic and majestic value, and today I am thankful to have the wonderful mother I do. To the left is a photograph of my mother holding my baby cousin when she was a newborn.

Today in church a fond memory jogged my mind as I wandered during the message (whoops!) I remember sitting next to my mother when I was young. I would squeeze my whole body on the brown, fabric pew and reaching out to touch my mother's jewelry. No matter what occasion, she had something different on that sparkled and shimmered. I would reach out to touch, and she would take off rings and bracelets and let me try them on. I would slide the rings on my fingers and smile as they would dangle from my skinny little fingers and imagined what it would be like to wear real rings someday, rings that fit and looked so marvalous just like hers.

As I sat in church next to my buddy from Penn State and he whispered to me what stone was in my my ruby ring, the one that belonged to my grandmother from my mother's side of the family. I took it off and let him slide it on his pinky and look at it from all angles, and it reminded me of my mother and how I would look at it the same way (not to belittle my friend by saying he was acting like a child, he's really quite smart). Then he inspected my other ring, from the other grandmother on my Dad's side of the family, and he tried it on for size. Who knew that playing with rings in church could be so memory-jogging.

Have a Happy Mother's Day everyone :)

1 Comments:

Blogger Sharon said...

This was a beautiful post, Lindsay...I love it.

4:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home