Wednesday, December 29, 2004

A Prayer and A Poem

As my mother and I moved the dresser from Grandpa's old closet to mine, we cleaned it out and found some pretty interesting stuff, like many people do when they find themselves in the same situation. But best of all, we discovered a prayer and a poem in his wallet that were kept in the same place, but quite different. Sharon's father will laugh when he reads it. Who wouldn't for goodness sake's, my mother was on the floor doubled over.

A Prayer
Father, while there are times when life seems dull may we also be aware of it's sunlight and song. Grant us the pleasures of recreation, the satisfactions of home, and the treasures of friendship. May we find the beautiful and good in all about us. Supremely may we discover the deep satisfactions of unselfish service. At day's end may the world be a little better lbecause we have lived; in Christ's name. Amen.
A Poem titled "Retirement"
The nookie days are over,
The pilot light is out,
what used to be my sex appeal
Is now just my water spout.
Time was when of it's own accord
From my trousers it would spring,
But now I have a full time job
Just to find the blasted thing.
It used to be embarassing
The way it would behave,
For every single morning
It would stand to watch me shave.
As my old age approaches
It sure gives me the blues,
To see it hand it's little head
And watch me tie my shoes!
I don't know where he got it, why he kept it, but let me tell you, it made my mother laugh and I can only imagine who he showed it to as he talked to a random stranger in a waiting room and such.
"Oh, these are my kids, this is my granddaughter, and take a look at this poem I have..."
Oh grandpa, oh grandpa. For shame, for shame. (And a great deal of humor!)

4 Comments:

Blogger Melonie said...

LOL! I have to show this to my FIL, he will love it!

7:22 AM  
Blogger Melonie said...

Sharon visited me today and we started to tell my FIL and he knew it! It must be part of the hazing for joining the ornery old men's club!

8:31 PM  
Blogger Sharon said...

I laughed and laughed at this....I was going to tell you about what happened when I went to Melonie's but I was not quick enough... :)

Please email me and tell me how to put the blinky on. I have been trying to put one on my site and don't know how...

6:48 AM  
Blogger Moogie said...

LOL! I loved this one! Thank you for sharing. What a wonderful sense of humor he must have had.

6:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home