Saturday, January 01, 2005

"Hi, my name is Lindsay, and I'm an alcoholic, partying cashier."

In a world of palm pilots, schedule books, reminders, fax machines, copies, cell phone, and the internet, I am still surprised at the amount of people that apparently forgot it was New Year’s Eve and decided to go get groceries…all at once.

I knew it would be a rigorous day of scanning, bagging, and money transactions when I was forced to park at the end of the parking lot for lack of having any luck at finding a better spot. As I made my way through the sliding doors it was evident that is was sheer madness. All seven registers open for business that were already packed with people, making long lines of inpatient customers who wants to go home and drink, whether it be the sparkling grape juice by Welch’s or the bubbly stuff that’s sold down a few store at the beer distributor.

Yesterday my forehead must have been labeled with a bright red tattoo of some sort that went something like “alcoholic” or “party animal.” Why is that? Well, elderly shoppers were at their best yesterday making a comment that just doesn’t come out right…or did it? Was it their intention to say what they did? I checked out their grub, gave the receipts, and told them to have a nice holiday and in response I got:

“And you have a safe holiday…”

Last time I looked in the bathroom mirror at SNS, I didn’t have any signs that would label me as that kind of person but more towards the opposite end of the spectrum. I guess they failed to notice the cross I wear on my smock or the tiny feet that represents a foundation for premature infants. Maybe they can’t see that far. (I know that was a low blow, but maybe it’s true!)

I asked my fellow co-workers if I looked like the type to go on an all-nighter, lose track of drinks, and wear the dance floor down on a Friday night.

They said yes.

(In a joking manner of course.)

It never ceases to amaze me. People and their words, good golly. But even though I walked out of the shadow of the valley of food with a headache, I soon took some pills and ate out with family and two other family friends. It was a fun night of Cranium and Taboo, Taboo being the all-time favorite from year to year. I hope your holiday rocked your socks and you welcomed 2005 with a happy and sober smile!

I’m out to eat with family in Clarion for the day. Hopefully my hangover is better by the time we get there…haha.

3 Comments:

Blogger Gary said...

Linds, you're about as much of an alcoholic as Ghandi is a UFC fighter.

2:42 AM  
Blogger Moogie said...

LOL! It's odd, some of the things people say sometimes. It's like "where in the heck did that come from?" Hope you had a wonderful New Years!

6:12 AM  
Blogger Melonie said...

They really are trying to be nice. I have one for you-I have 6 children-everyone says, "Are they all yours?", but the best question I ever got was, "Is your husband the father of all of them?" Yeah, I promise it wasn't the mailman!

8:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home